This one-year, full-time Professional LLM program is designed to give law graduates and lawyers from around the world advanced training in international business law. Award-winning faculty teach the latest developments in international trade law, international finance, international business transactions, taxation of cross-border transactions and other related topics.
The program provides you with knowledge in critical, core international business law courses while allowing you the opportunity to pursue your academic interests through elective LLM and JD courses. You may also have the opportunity to gain exposure to the North American legal workplace and apply your knowledge and skills through our popular internship program. As part of the Osgoode community, you’ll also benefit from academic and career supports to help you achieve your goals.
The degree requirements will be satisfied upon the completion of 36 credits:
- 6 credits are drawn from required courses in Legal Research and Writing (3 credits) and Introduction to Canadian Law (3 credits)
- 21 credits are drawn from a selection of the following International Business Law core courses:
- International Business Transactions (6 credits)
- International Finance (3 credits)
- Taxation of Cross-Border Transactions (6 credits)
- International Trade Law (6 credits)
- International Commercial Arbitration (6 credits)
- Anti-Money Laundering and International Country Sanctions (3 credits)
- 9 elective credits are drawn from remaining International Business Law core courses, complementary LLM specializations and/or select upper year JD courses
You are also required to complete a minimum 30 page research paper as part of your degree. You may complete the research paper requirement by either:
- Submitting a 30 page Significant Research Paper as a form of evaluation in at least one course
- Completing an Independent Significant Research Paper [3 credits] (30 pages); or
- Completing a Major Research Paper [6 credits] (70 pages)
Some students will also be required to take a month-long intensive International Business Law Preparatory Course. This course is generally required for students who have completed their law degree in a country other than the U.S. or the U.K.
Please click here for further information about the curriculum.